Friday, June 19, 2009

Guess Who's Interviewing Bruce Sutter?

As I mentioned in this post, the United Cardinal Bloggers were offered a chance to interview a couple of Cardinal Hall of Famers. The first of those interviews took place last Tuesday.

I expressed interest in doing an interview. After several emails, and some last minute coordination today, I am happy to announce I will be talking with Bruce Sutter on 23 June.

Bruce was inducted in 2006. His plaque reads:

A dominant closer who revolutionized the split-fingered fastball, which confounded batters, earned 300 saves and posted a 2.83 ERA while often pitching two or more innings. A six-time All-Star selection, ranked among the top ten in National League MVP and Cy Young voting five times each and led the league in saves five times. Won the 1979 N.L. Cy Young, posting 37 saves while striking out 110, allowing 67 hits in 101.1 innings. Saved two games and recorded the final six outs for the 1982 World Champion Cardinals.


I've set up a special edition of the UCB radio hour for the interview. Here's the link. Bruce should be dialing in at 1030 Central Time. I hope to have about 20 minutes to talk with him; we're at the mercy of his schedule, so it might be more, and it might be less.

I must admit I'm excited about this opportunity. My first fond Cardinal memory is the first baseball game I ever went to with Dad, despite the outcome. My next one is the 1982 Championship. I think I still have a bumper sticker from that victory somewhere. Talking to the man who closed it out will be a treat.

No comments: